Re: terminal goes funky

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:05:00PM +0200, Morten Liebach wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:38:07PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:

[snip]

> > It seems to display things fine, but just with weird characters instead
> > of proper ones. Some characters are fine though, like the "GNU" part of
> > the login prompt. :)

[snip]

> He, I think this is interesting. I haven't tried it myself in Linux, but
> it has been a problem in some snapshots of OpenBSD that I have used, and
> it surfaced on a mailinglist that it's an age-old artifact in UNIX.

It seems so, particularly as I saw someone undoing this problem with a
key-combination. This person comes from UNIX and not Linux.

When I see him again, I'll ask him what the key-combination is so I can
then post it to the list for everyone's convenience.

> On OpenBSD I've seen the same that you see, all normal chars garbled,
> and all capitals are OK, also (again on OpenBSD) I've seen a bug that
> made ALL chars capital, annoying, and that's also an old old bug, funny
> that such things doesn't disapear with time and, in the case of Linux,
> reimplementation.

Probably comes from the design of certain things that all / many UNIXen
have in common.

> On OpenBSD the only thing that fixed it was a reboot, YMMV.

Thanks to all the guys who suggested "reset" to me.

# apropos reset
reset (1)            - terminal initialization

Sven
--
The UNIX Guru's view of sex:
unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger