Re: Bogus BogoMips with new kernel?

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:06:20PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently (this weekend) reïnstalled potato on a laptop, pentium 120,
> which used to have a couple of months old version of potato on it. It used
> to have a bogomips rating of about 48, if I remember correctly. Now,
> suddenly, with the default kernel (2.2.17...pre6 somethingorother, it used
> to run 2.2.13, I think, or something around there), I get a bogomips
> rating of 240! This certainly looks bogus to me. Any ideas?

Bogomips are always bogus.  (Bogomips means "bogus millions of
instructions per second".)  Recently they've become even more bogus --
mine indicates twice my processor speed.  If you want to fix it, go
ahead. :)  If not, don't worry about it because they're not important.

Cheers,
Chris

--
pick, pack, pock, puck: like drops of water in a fountain falling
softly in the brimming bowl.