Re: Mass instalation

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 05:31:09PM -0300, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
>     Hi all,
>     I have to install 80 PCs (+/- the same hardware) with Debian.
>     What tools can help me on this?
>     Thanks,        Paulo Henrique

I don't have specific multi-system rollout experience, but have absorbed
some (mis?)information from here and elsewhere.

There is a "kickstart" tool under development for Debian though AFAIK
it's not production quality yet.

You can use

    $ dpkg --get-selections > file
	$ dpkg --set-selections < file

...to install a similar set of packages on several systems (you'd have
to make "file" available on the various systems.  You'll still have to
tweak local configuration files, though IIRC debconf can handle some of
this for you.

This also looks like a possible application for thin-client, shared
disk, or diskless workstation type solutions.  If use of the boxes, but
not fully autonomous administration, is what's required, then either
mounting system disks over the network, using a "push" solution (this is
what VA Linux does, IIRC, having found networked/diskless systems too
much of a PITA), or other thin-client solution may work for you.