Re: X crash question (where's the core file?)

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 12:50:00PM -0300, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   X has been crashing (signal 11) here sometimes (once a day, or maybe
>   once   every two days). I believe it's the kernel
>   (2.4.0-test5-pre4), but   it could be something else (I use the CVS
>   version of flwm)... These are the only two relevand things that I
>   have changed recently...
>
>   So, after crashing, X tells me that it dumped a core file - that I
>   wanted to use - but it's nowhere... Any ideass of what I could do so
>   I can perhaps determine where the crash is happening and report
>   this?
>

>   This is woody, with XFree86 3.3.6-10.

core file should be wherever X started up.  Depending on how you start,
this can be in a number of places.  I use startx to launch my X session
(think for a few minutes -- what *really* is the function of an X
display manager other than to provide the overhead of an X session when
you explicitly don't need one).   I'd recommend  you do the same.  You
can shut down your X display manager with:

    # /etc/init.d/<foo>dm stop

...as root.

Usual candidate locations would be /, $HOME, and /root for an
[xgkw]dm-initiated session.

To save your X session output to a file, try:

    $ startx -- 1>.startx.log 2>&1 &

...to launch X

You may also want to check your "ulimit -a" output to find out if you've
truncated core files.  I've done this as I don't usually care to know
what's in them:

	core file size (blocks)     0				# no cores
	data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
	file size (blocks)          unlimited
	max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
	max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited