Re: lock-up with thrashing

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 01:37:12AM -0400, Michael Soulier wrote:

> 	So, I get home from finally seeing the X-Men movie (I truly
> expected them to hack it up horribly, but I was impressed...) to find my
> Debian box thrashing away like crazy. The mouse would barely respond, and
> a ctrl-alt-backspace only partially shut down X. It just sort of hung
> while the system went nuts, the harddrive sounding like it was about to
> blow its way out the side of the tower. I waited and waited, but it didn't
> give me a prompt, so I finally hit the reset.
> 	It came back up fine, and all is well now, but looking in the
> various logs, I can't tell what it was doing when this occurred. If
> someone can give me a hint of what to look for and where, I'd love to
> track this down to prevent it happening again.

I've had experiences on memory anemic systems going into fatal thrash
in low-memory situations.  Your best bet may be to ssh into the box and
start shutting down processes.  This works becuase ssh runs a number of
listener daemons which actually (IIUC) exec() a shell, meaning you can get
a process running even in some situations when a fork() won't work.  I'd
used this to get first a user shell, then "exec su" to root, then "exec
sash" to get the sash shell, though the problem in this case was a fully
occupied process table.

If you compile your kernel with magic-sysrq support, you can sometimes
regain control of your system by using the key combinations it supports
to shut down processes and restore a usable state.  If that fails, you
can usually safely unmount drives to prevent data loss.