Re: fetchmail troubles

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 08:17:43AM -0300, Christoph Simon wrote:
> > Well, I think, it is the POP server that is to be blamed. A POP3
> > server is supposed to return the message followed by a <CR><LF>
> > and '.'  when a TOP n 99999999 or a RETR n is given. It that does
> > not happen, then a situation similar to the one you described can
> > arise. Can you get your e-mail provider to change their broken
> > POP server software?
>
> Indeed it is. My linux box is connected by DSL, but I also can connect
> by modem by a windows box. And there it works without problems. If it
> where the missing period at the end, how comes, that this affects only
> the very last message, and that this last message is written as an
> ever growing file in the spool directory. Wouldn't it be to
> expect a missing period causing just doing nothing until a
> timeout?

Its not just the missing period. Its just a guess, but what if
the POP server keeps returning spaces, instead of a period --
maybe due to some bug. Fetchmail just keeps reading till it gets
the period. However, thats what all mail clients are expected to
do. Since other mail clients (in Windows?) do not have this
problem, there is a chance that my inference could be wrong!

Try out a POP3 session by hand (telnet or nc  to port 110). Then
you can verify if it is the POP server is returning those spaces.

--
Manoj Victor Mathew  (GPG#: 3D96A9B9)
Cochin, India.