Re: cron editor

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 03:06:02PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > If I do a 'crontab -e' I get a strange editor, unlike vim
> > which I get on met 2.1 box.  Is there a way to change this
> > behaviour?
>
> it reads the value of $EDITOR from the shell and defaults to ae
> otherwise.  In your .bashrc place:
>
> EDITOR=myeditor
> export EDITOR
>
> this helps in many places.
>
> as an extra setting PAGER=less will use less instead of more
> for things like man page viewing.

In Debian you have the alternatives system. You can use
alternatives to decide which editor must be the default editor.
See man 'update-alternatives' for more info.

You can use 'update-alternatives --config editor' to change the
default editor. For those who want Vim when 'vi' is called can
have a look at 'update-alternatives --config vi'

There also exists an entry for 'pager'. Each file in
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives  is an alternative.

HTH.
--
Manoj Victor Mathew  (GPG#: 3D96A9B9)
Cochin, India.