Exim/fetchmail/procmail - bad mail files

OK so I give up trying to figure this one out :-(

I've got exim up and running. I used eximconf and selected option
2. I also have fetchmail and procmail up and running.

Mail comes in from mail.linux.com using imap. The connection is
tunnelled over ssh. The connection goes fine and my proc.log shows
mail being received and filtered to my mail folders.

I can fire up mutt, and point it at a mailbox (any) and I get:
/home/jg/mail.linux.com/jg@linux.com is not a mailbox.
This also occurs on loading mutt, but with
/var/spool/mail/jg instead.

The mail files themselves look like this: