Re: Exim/fetchmail/procmail - bad mail files

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, James Green wrote:

> OK so I give up trying to figure this one out :-(
>
> I've got exim up and running. I used eximconf and selected option
> 2. I also have fetchmail and procmail up and running.
>
> Mail comes in from mail.linux.com using imap. The connection is
> tunnelled over ssh. The connection goes fine and my proc.log shows
> mail being received and filtered to my mail folders.
>
> I can fire up mutt, and point it at a mailbox (any) and I get:
> /home/jg/mail.linux.com/jg@linux.com is not a mailbox.
> This also occurs on loading mutt, but with
> /var/spool/mail/jg instead.
>
> The mail files themselves look like this:

> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:57:55 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Green J M K <jmkgre@essex.ac.uk>
> To: jg@linux.com
> Subject: vrml link
>
> http://www.best.com/~rikk/Book/
>

> [ at which point more emails follow ]
>
> This format is identical to /var/spool/mail/jg.
>
> I'm told that the formatting is wrong and that exim is to blame.
> However I am unable to find anyone in IRC who knows exim to help.

As far as I see the problem about the formatting is that you need a

 From <user@host> <Date>

line at the beginning of every message. You can make it by creating a
little wrapper-script in your favourite programming language (awk, perl,
python, bash, tcsh, even C/C++), and piping the message through the
script in your procmailrc.

Ask for help if you are not a programmer,
Pavel