Re: cannot compile ppp-2.4.x

Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:

> On 20-Jul-2000 Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Pollywog wrote:
> >

> >> On 20-Jul-2000 Pollywog wrote:
[...]
> > Hi,
> >
> >       are you going to produce .deb's?
> >       Do I need ppp 2.4 for a dialup conection?
> >       Do you know if 2.3.11 works with kernel 2.4?
> >       Sorry for so many questions, but I would like to try the new
> > kernel and I didn't only because ppp!
>
> The 2.3.11 Debian package is all you need (2.2.x kernel or newer) if you just
> want regular ppp.
>
> I need the newer package only because I am trying to install the PPPoE module
> on a test kernel.  I have the module installed, but I am unable to compile the
> 2.4.x ppp even though I am using the compilers from Woody.
>
> --
> Andrew

In the file linux/Documentation/Changes, you can find the following

  PPP
  ---

  The PPP driver has been restructured to support multilink and to
  enable it to operate over diverse media layers.  If you use PPP,
  upgrade pppd to at least 2.4.0b1.

So I believe that he new version of PPP is needed if you want to PPP
under 2.4.0.

Chris