Re: PS2 mouse and gpm

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 11:02:07AM -0500, Bolan Meek wrote:
> Ethan Pierce wrote:
> >
> > There was some talk on the list earlier today about removing gpm to get
> > better results with the paste feature.
> >
> > I plan to try this later when I get home from work....but does anyone know
> > if taking out gpm will mess up the x server?
>
> Taking out gpm will not mess up the x server, however, if X is
> configured to get data from /dev/gpmdata, it will not know from
> where to get the mouse movements & buttons.  You may want to
> check into that.

You've got an Intellimouse?  Try this in your /etc/X11/XF86Config:

  Section "Pointer"
     Protocol        "IMPS/2"
     Device          "/dev/psaux"
     Resolution      100
     Buttons         3
     ZAxisMapping    4 5
  EndSection

Remove gpm.  It's never caused me anything but grief when trying to
run X.  For console only machines gpm is cool.

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/