PS2 mouse and gpm

There was some talk on the list earlier today about removing gpm to get
better results with the paste feature.

I plan to try this later when I get home from work....but does anyone know
if taking out gpm will mess up the x server?

My main goal is just to get my middle mouse button working on my mouseman
+ ps/2 mouse.  The paste does work, unfortunately only with l+r buttons
combined instead of the middle wheel button.  It used to work in Mandrake
:( and Ive been so pleased with debian that I wont switch back.

Thanks for any tips - I have tried XF86Config and xf86setup with just
about every combination.  So I think Ive exhausted that road of
possibilities.

-Ethan