Re: mysql-server root password

I ended up being able to set the password via some select commands.  Here
are those commands if anybody is interested.

  mysql -u root mysql
          UPDATE user SET Password = PASSWORD ('new_password')
          WHERE user = 'root';
          FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

The password was blank but for some reason  /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root
password 'new-password'  would not work.

Thank you Ron and Mike for your assistance.

-Kirt

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Mark Walter wrote:

> > > frodo:~# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password blah
> > > /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> > > error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'
>
> had the same problem. My sysadmin possibly raised a password during
> installation. So the database constrained it from root using the
> password which I didn't know. One possible solution was to reinvoke
> the whole procedure with:
>
> > dpkg-reconfigure -plow mysql-server
>
> I have sudo so hopefully you also got it.

snip