Re: Help compiling Xlib

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:

> I am trying to compile a simple X application but I
> keep getting the folloeing error:
>
> gcc -g -o testapp test1.c -lX11
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Any suggestions? What are the Xlib libraries called
> under Linux.  Thanks.
>
> -D

xlib6g installs its libraries under /usr/X11R6/lib/ (try dpkg --largemem
-L xlib6g) and are trying to have names compatible with all other
distributions. I think the problem is that xlib6g does not make
/usr/lib/X11 to be a symlink to /usr/lib/X11R6 where ld likes to look for
the libraries. Either make the symlink, or give ld (gcc will pass
appropriate arguments to ld) a "-L/usr/X11R6/lib" switch.

This is for now,
Pavel M. Penev