Re: anyone knowledgeable enough pls help!

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 01:23:05AM -0700, Joseph de los Santos wrote:

> btw, what's the difference between keycodes and keysyms?

The keycodes map between keys on the keyboard and numbers.  The function
doesn't change if someone changes their key mapping with something like
xmodmap.

Keysyms, on the other hand, map between keys (in the user's mind) and
numbers.

For example, on a non-remapped keyboard, the Control keycode is
0x00E3 and Caps lock is 0x00E5.  Their keysyms are 0xFFE3 and 0xFFE5
respectively.  I like to switch my Control and Caps lock keys using
xmodmap.  The keycode of the key to the left of the 'A' key is still
0x00E5, but its keysym becomes 0xFFE3.  Similarly, the keycode of the
key 2 keys down is still 0x00E3 but its keysym is now 0xFFE5.

Confused yet?

Cheers,
Chris

--
pick, pack, pock, puck: like drops of water in a fountain falling
softly in the brimming bowl.