Re: sound still not working

> i did the cat /proc/pci step and it returned:
>
> "Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 0). Slow devsel.
> IRQ 10. Master Capable. Latency=96. Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=12"
>
> i tried to compile in the es1371 driver with sound support into the
> kernel, but didn't detect my sound card irq.

Through the wonders of Plug-N-Play that means you don't have a sound card
with the es1371 chipset.

> then i compiled in the es1370 driver, dmesg returned:
>
> "es1370: version v0.31 time 21:10:51 Jul 15 2000
> es1370: found adapter at io 0xfcc0 irq 10
> ex1370: features: joystick off, line in, mic impedance 0"

The sound driver loaded correctly.

> but when i tried to check with cat /dev/sndstat it said
> "cat:/dev/sndstat: no such device" which according to the how-to means
> the sound driver isn't loaded or linked into the kernel.

The ability to read from /dev/sndstat isn't reliable - the es1371 driver
does the same on my computer, and sound works fine (I'm listening to mp3s
now).

The HOW-TOs become out-of-date very easily.

> also theres a strange line at the end of dmesg that says "cat uses
> obsolete /proc/pci interface" i wonder if that has anything to do with
> anything.

The kernel message was originally meant to mean that the file /proc/pci
would go away during the next development series.  It is perfectly safe to
ignore that message.

> does anyone know how to fix this. and oh im using the
> kernel-source2.1.15 package currently in the unstable branch of some
> debian mirror.

Nothing to fix, unless you're not getting any sound out of the sound
card...

> there is another strange error that when i compile the kernel into a
> zImage it crashes during bootup when i choose a video mode but
> compiled into a bzImage the video mode selection works fine.

What messages did it give you during bootup?

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien