Re: newusers command

Hi,

Does adduser support reading data from a file? For large number
of users like in our case (around 500) interactive entry for each
user is not a desirable option.

Suresh

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 11:40:32AM -0600, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> "Suresh Kumar. R" <sudhas@md3.vsnl.net.in> writes:
> > I used newusers command to create large numbers of users. I find that
> >
> > 1. it doesnot copy files from /etc/skel to the home directory.
> > Should it be enabled in some way ?
> >
> > 2. Also, it creates users with ids greater that what is
> > existing already. (As I understand from the source code)
> > By default in debian, thereis the nobody account with 65534
> > as userid and all accounts created with newusers were not working
> > with reference to file permisions. (Precisely speaking, the new
> > home directories created were not having the userid ownership.)
> > I had to change the nobody user id to some value like 200 to make
> > the newusers command work. Is there any other alternative?
> >
> > 3. Is it possible to use newusers command to execute some defaults
> > script after creating users (For ex. to run smbpasswd) ?
>
> I'm not sure what the difference is but you might try the adduser
> command instead (man adduser). I've never used newusers so I can't say
> how it compares, but certainly adduser does almost everything you
> mentioned above. I don't know if it can handle #3, but you could
> certainly easily write your own script to call adduser and then
> execute smbpasswd I would think.
>
> Gary

Suresh
Suresh Kumar.R, 		              Email: suresh@mycampus.com
Dept of Electronics & Communication
College of Engineering, Trivandrum - 695 016, INDIA
Phone: (O) 91 471 414634/418379, (R) 91 471 443496