Potato install won't let me set root password.

Had to use potato because I have an Athlon (tried
slink, it hangs, did research here and found that the
kernal was too old). So Potato installs fine up to and
including "The Moment of Truth"

Then it asks to set MD5? then Shadow? then root
password?

That's where I set it, it asks to confirm by retyping.
 then it sends me back to set root password again.

I've tried all kinds of passwords, long, short, Caps
and lower and punctuation.  I've tried this without
MD5 and without Shadow.

Can anyone help me out?
Stephen