Re: net-help needed : adsl + dyn-IP (? + dhcp ?) . (re-)starting fromscratch

"S. Champ" wrote:

> hello.
>
> -- -- -- --
>
> an excerpt from the text, below, which may be the root of the issue:
>
> 2) crucial question:
>
>    do i need to have dhcpcd up-and-running before or after i start-up the pppoe
> client-daemon ?  and why do i need to have dhcpcd running, at all? ( shouldn't
> the pppoe software be handling this? )

Some suggestions:

1. Get right with your ISP. If your account is "severely delinquent"
(whatever that means), it doesn't matter how you configure Debian,
you're not going to connect to the Internet.

2. Make sure your NIC is properly installed and configured. This is not
necessarily easy.

3. Install the pppoe.deb package. Read the README in the pppoe.deb
package. It will tell you exactly how to configure all necessary files
in /etc and how to start and stop pppd to connect via your DSL line. Do
exactly what the README tells you; it works just fine with PacBell's
flavor of DSL.

4. Read the info at the PacBell site about system settings to connect
via DSL. What you mostly need from there are the ip addresses for the
DNS servers at PacBell. You add those nameserver addresses to
/etc/resolv.conf. If your account at PacBell is delinquent, you won't be
able to get to this information. See step 1.

5. That's all there is to it to get connected via a PacBell DSL line.
PacBell certainly doesn't make it easy, but they don't prevent it
either. They just leave everything as "an exercise for the student" but
that's the way Linux folk like it, eh?

HTH

Oh yeah, you definitely do *not* need DHCP to connect via pppoe to
PacBell's DSL.

Stan