Re: What to use as an MTA

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 07:52:19PM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote
> Dave Sherohman wrote:
>
> > 2)  Unless you've registered your own domain and it can accept mail, the
> > configuration generated by eximconfig won't quite work out of the box.
> > Specifically, if you tell it you're @isp.net it will assume that all @isp.net
> > addresses are local, preventing you from sending mail to other users who have
> > the same ISP as you.  If you go through the config by hand, though, the
> > comments in the generated file make it fairly clear how to fix this.
>
> This was exactly my problem, when doing a quick configuration with
> eximconfig.  Mail sent to my fillow students would not be delivered to
> the university (my ISP), because the system thought, these mails were
> local.  Right now I am using Netscape, so this is not a big issue, but
> doing mail under Netscape is not the way to go.

A quick solution is to change your machine's name; instead of
calling it machine.isp.net call it machine.localnet, and *don't*
tell eximconfig that you accept mail for people at mail.isp.net
(or wherever it got the idea that those are loacl addresses);
tell eximconfig to use a smarthost, your ISP's SMTP server.

Then add a re-writing rule to the end of your /etc/exim.conf like this:
*@machine.localnet    account@mail.isp.net Fh

to automatically rewrite (in this case) the envelope from field
and all headers, substituting your "true" email address for the
locally-visible machine name.  That gives you a solution which
works; the only drawback is that mail that you send to
you@your.isp.net is delivered via your ISP, rather than
directly.

> The other problem I have with eximconfig is that it will only deliver 10
> mails at a time and then pause for a (unknown) delay.  This occurs when
> fetchmail gets mail from my ISP and passes it on to exim.  Again, not a
> big issue, and I haven't even tried to fix it.

To quote from exim's info page (under "SMTP Processing"):

 Exim normally starts a delivery process for each message received,
 though this can be varied by means of the -odq' command line option
 and the `queue_only', `queue_only_file', and `queue_only_load' options.
 The number of simultaneously running delivery processes started in this
 way from SMTP input can be limited by the `smtp_accept_queue' and
 `smtp_accept_queue_per_connection' options. When either limit is
 reached, subsequently received messages are just put on the input queue.

 The controls that involve counts of incoming SMTP calls
 (`smtp_accept_max' `smtp_accept_queue', `smtp_accept_reserve') are not
 available when Exim is started up from the `inetd' daemon, since each
 connection is handled by an entirely independent Exim process. Control
 by load average is, however, available with `inetd'.

HTH,

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au