Re: begone ctrlaltdel!

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 01:33:42PM +0300, Lehel Bernadt wrote:

> On 09-Jul-2000 Ethan Benson wrote:

> > i am uncertain what control-alt-delete will do if you comment this
> > out, it might revert to DOS/Windows behaviour of rebooting the machine
> > uncleanly...
>
> No, it certainly won't. When this line is commented out, ctr-alt-del does
> nothing.

I am finding the latter to be correct here. The '-a' arg to shutdown strikes
me as not very useful, since the presence of a root login will circumvent
whatever is in /etc/shutdown.allow. It would seem to me that it is precisely
_when_ root is logged in that an inadvertant or unauthorized ctrlaltdel
reboot would be most unwelcome.

I suppose the moral of the story is, "Don't leave root logins unattended."
(But wouldn't it be simpler to have, as a possible line in
/etc/shutdown.allow, "none"?)

--
Bob Bernstein          | As for systems that are not like Unix,
at                     | such as MSDOS, Windows, the Macintosh,