Re: begone ctrlaltdel!

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 11:43:44PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> Suppose I want to dis-able the three fingered salute. Is it sufficient to
> simply comment out this line in /etc/inittab:
>
> # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
> ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

i am uncertain what control-alt-delete will do if you comment this
out, it might revert to DOS/Windows behaviour of rebooting the machine
uncleanly...

> or should another command be substituted for /sbin/shutdown, and if so, which
> one?

echo root > /etc/shutdown.allow

and leave inittab alone.

that way control-alt-delete will only work if root is logged into the
console. (that is what the -a switch to shutdown does)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/