Toshiba Satellite T1910CS notebook - preferred version?

I am trying to install Debian on a Toshiba
Satellite T1910CS, 486, 110M HD, 8MB ram .
I won't be running X and will just need to
use: vim, pine (+fetchmail/sendmail),
lynx, ftp, telnet and pcmcia and parallel
port modules.

Have gone through the installation steps from
floppy to the point where the system boots
from the hard disk. Next, I need to get an
Corega EtherII PCC-T ethernet card working
in order to point dselect to the Packages.gz
on the debian ftp or www site.

My questions:

* In accordance with advice from someone who
had installed Linux on one of these beasts,
I chose Debian 2.0 distribution (/dists/Debian-2.0/).
Is this the preferred version for this machine and
these needs?

* while uname -a shows that the kernel running
is 2.0.36, somehow modules are 2.0.34 . I tried
to insmod pcmcia.o , etc. and got an error message
that the modules don't machine the kernel.
How could this happen and what's the best way to
reinstall so it doesn't happen or fix the problem
without reinstalling?

* To see what would happen, I downloaded the
pcmcia-modules deb file (2.0.36) from the Debian-2.0
site (copying it over to the Toshiba via floppies).
This I was able to install with dpkg -i ; so, while
the modules are 2.0.34, there are two sets of pcmcia
modules, 2.0.34 and 2.0.36 .
The Ethernet card requires pcnet_cs.0 so I entered
the necessary lines in /etc/pcmcia/config and started
pcmcia with "/etc/init.d/pcmcia start" (I have this
card working on a Linux box that runs with Turbolinux
[quite similar to Redhat]). On the Toshiba w/ Debian
it's not perfect yet, but the card is being recognized,
at least partially.
Anything else I need to do? Does the network need to
be configured before the card will be recognized
properly?

* Finally, I downloaded the kernel source from
/Debian-2.0/ and tried dpkg -i. It seems that I
need to install binutils first, or at the same time.
Anything else needed before I can recompile the
kernel? bin86, maybe? kernel headers of some kind?

Thanks!

Tony Laszlo
Jiyugaoka, Tokyo