Re: samba Passwords

1) As root, run    smbpasswd -a newusername
That will add newusername to the smbpasswd file and set the password for you.

2) CDROMs
Make sure your /etc/fstab contains a line like this
/dev/hdd      /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto         0       0

then make sure theres a section like this in /etc/samba/smb.conf

; A sample share for sharing your CD-ROM with others.
[cdrom]
   comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
   writable = no
   locking = no
   path = /cdrom
   public = yes
; The next two parameters show how to auto-mount a CD-ROM when the
;       cdrom share is accesed. For this to work /etc/fstab must contain
;       an entry like this:
;       /dev/scd0   /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user   0 0
;       /dev/hdd    /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user   0 0
; The CD-ROM gets unmounted automatically after the connection to the
; If you don't want to use auto-mounting/unmounting make sure the CD
;       is mounted on /cdrom
   preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
   postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom

That will automatically mount the cd if a client machine requests it.

3) Samba as a domain controller.

Firstly samba CANNOT act as a PDC for a NT network, neither can it partake in elections as a BDC to an existing NT server.

What samba can do is use an existing NT server to authenticate usernames and passwords from, or it can act as a domain controller for win9x clients (that means not NT or 2000 (not sure about ME))

My suggestion is to look at either buying "Using Samba" by O'Reilly or look at the samba website www.samba.org