Re: Looking for a package, but don't know what to call it

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Mike Werner wrote:

> Markus Fischer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 02:53:18PM -0400, Mike Werner wrote :
> > > Now, from any of those labs when you logon, you basically get
> > > connected automatically to naur.  All of the account info is (I presume)
> > > stored on naur as well.
> >
> > 	This basically sounds like NIS (Network Information
> > System).
>
> It does seem to be what I was looking for ... thanks for the pointer.  Now
> I've another question - how in the hell does this thing work?!?  The docs
> that come with the package are a joke.  I've read and reread the NIS-HOWTO a
> number of times now to no avail.  Everything seems to be running, but I just
> can *not* figure out how to get my laptop (the NIS client) to realize that
> the login I'm trying to do is over on the desktop box (the NIS server).  I
> went through and did the adduser on the desktop, did the diddling with
> /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow as per the HOWTO, but the laptop still gives me
> the Login incorrect message every time.  I'm not even seeing an attempt at
> network traffic from the laptop when I try and login.
>
> Anyone here ever gotten NIS working?  I sure can't.

Yeah, we use it at work, however in order to get it to work we had to
change the nsswitch.conf from:

passwd:         compat
group:          compat

passwd:         files nis
group:          files nis

Keeping everything else the same.  It worked after we did that.  We're not
using shadow passwords either, in case that makes a difference to you.  I
did not set it up, but I'm fairly certain that was all it took to get it
to work.

Try logging in as root and running the command 'ypcat passwd'.  If that
doesn't work, then you're setup is incorrect.

Peter

Peter D. Kovacs                   KnowPost.com LLC
Lead Engineer                   peter@knowpost.com