RE: RE: Samba Setup

Hello

I setup and got Samba working with a Win95 machine.
Under the "My Computer" you right click on the item
you want to share and select "Sharing" from that
menu and set up the item for sharing. It's pretty
easy to understand. In the Control Panel, Network,
setup your you'r Windows system to have the same
"Workgroup" name that you are in on your Linux system.
And give your Windows box a unique "Computer name".
Then you have to edit your samba.conf file on your
Linux system according to the instructions. I was
able to edit most of this without looking at the
instructions much, as most of the file samba.conf
file is setup in a logical fashion. I used a text
editor. You can even set up "your" Linux home
directory as a share. Then when you login on
Windows and click on "Network Neighborhood"
you will have access to your home directory.
You can even setup your home directory to be seen
from "My Computer" be doing a little drive mapping.
FYI, you have to have your Windows network setup
with an IP address and NetEUI for all this to work.

The thing I never did figure out how to do was to
access the windows shares from Linux. This was
because my wife started whining about how since
I setup a network that it was slowing down her
computer.

Well I hope this helps
Walt in Colorado