Kernel upgrade

Hello Group,
I decided to upgrade my kernel from 2.2.12 to 2.2.15 and ran into a
problem. This is what Im doing.
I extract the kernel while im in the /usr/src/ directory. Then I
made a directory /usr/src/linux-2.2.15 and then cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.15
and ln -s linux-2.2.15 linux.
After doing that I cd /usr/src/linux and run make menuconfig. That
seems to work fine and I save the kernel. After saving I use
make deb;make clean;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install.
and that seems to compile fine. Now here is the problem.
I cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot  then
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15 but I get file or directory does not
exist. Apparently the vmlinuz-2.2.15 isnt there. I can see the old
vmlinuz-2.2.12 but thats it. I have compiled many systems this way
before. Any idea's on what Im doing wrong? Im running potato if
that helps.
Thanks again
Jay
--

It feels so good, It's a marginal risk, when I clear off windows with fdisk