Bridging

I've installed kernel 2.2.16 on my slink box with the intent to do
bridging between my three network cards (SMC Ultra x2 and RLT8039 x1).
I've done it successfully with a 2.2.8 kernel I think but thought I
would try it with the newer one. Each of the network cards is compiled
as a module.

After bootup I found something unusual - "Interface br0 bound to
interface xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx" (ethernet address). Now when I issue the
command brcfg -ena it only says it's briging on the one interface. All
the cards are in promiscuious mode. As you would expect there is no
bridging.

Our of curiosity I did ifconfig brg0 192.l68.1.4 (spare ip) out of hope
of it being a bridging interface.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation. Oh yeah, bridging is enabled
in the kernel.