Re: kernel 2.2.17 boot disk prob! (HELP!)

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 02:41:40PM -0700, Pann McCuaig wrote:
> > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a boot disk like the one I
> > created when installing debian initially.

> Do you still have that disk? There is a file on there named linux.
> Delete it and replace it with a copy of /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17.

I did that and it just did the job. :) Thanks!
At first, it complained about missing dependencies but on the next
bootstrap this was fine.

How often can this be repeated? I mean, do any other files on there need
replacing sometime?

On it now is the following:

# file /floppy/*
/floppy/ldlinux.sys:  data
/floppy/linux:        Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 2.2.17 (herbert@arnor) #1 Sun J, RO-rootFS, root_dev=0x302, Normal VGA
/floppy/message.txt:  English text
/floppy/syslinux.cfg: ASCII text

And mount says:

# mount
/dev/hdb3 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/fd0 on /floppy type msdos (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

> > That boot disk says "SYSLINUX..." when it is started. This type of boot
> > disk works fine with my IDE disk which isn't detected by my ugly BIOS.

> If you don't still have the disk, boot your rescue disk (just like you
> were going to do a fresh install), select a keyboard, activate your
> swap partition, mount your linux partition(s), and then select "Make a
> bootable floppy" from the menu.

And this would create this exact *type* of boot disk?

Thanks a lot, this is great!
Sven