Re: Newbie: How to get XFree... to work on my Compaq PC Ver. OF15; Model 1200-XL119

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Steve Voelkel wrote:

      I'd really appreciate some help: can't get X (graphics) to work on the
      above machine.
      Struggled through and finally got a largish set of packages installed
      but can't get my graphics to work.  I guess it's because it doesn't
      recognize my chipset.  Here are data the manual (O'Reilly) asks for on
      pp. 3-4:
      Hard drive: 6007MB; Toshiba MK6014MAP; IDE; Set for LBA Mode? (Large
      disk
      Access Mode= DOS... guess answer is NO.)
      ATAPI CD-ROM; IDE Nec CD-Rom DRive: 282 CDROM; Firmware Rev. 5.12
      Mouse: Snynaptics PS/2 TouchPad with IBM Model 001 M-L plugged into
      keyboard/
      mouse port; 2 buttons
      Video Adapter (= Graphics Controller?): Trident CyberBlade i7 with 4MB
      video RAM
      I don't mind further reading of docs. if you can point to help (I've
      been reading for about four wees now);  Problem seems associated with
      configuring XFree... but I don't know how/whether the chipset is
      recognized/workable.
      Thanks a million for any help.

I think the first step is to execute SuperProve, that checks the current
video graphics adapter and give you a lot of usefull information.

Second you can send to the list the logs of X:

	$ X > logfile.log 2>&1

With the X logs and the SuperProbe results I'm sure you'll configure the X
or will help us to help you.

Josep Llauradó Selvas	           darlock@teleline.es
	         Linux Registered User #153481
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.
After that, it's all learned.
(in comp.os.linux.misc, on X interfaces.)
FP: 199E 7539 13B7 AA30 0B0C  263E 5991 03A7 625F B24F