Re: REPOST: ypserv consumes giant amounts of memory???

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:41:04 -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

>> Since I installed a NIS master server a few days ago my system often
comes
>> to a crawl by excessive memory use of the NIS server (ypserv.)
>>
>> I can (sort of) reproduce it by issuing "ypwhich -m" from the box itself
or
>> another machine in my LAN which is just a NIS client. Suddenly there are
>> several copies of ypserv in the process list which consume ridiculous
>> amounts of memory and cause the machine to start swapping excessively,
>> bringing it to a crawl.
>
>I haven't seen this problem with NIS under debian before (I have set up an
NIS server
>in debian as well as in SunOS 4.1.3). Is there perhaps something wrong with
your data?

I don't think so. The configuration of a NIS server is a rather trivial
thing. I think both my configuration files and my maps are sane. And even if
there WAS a problem within the files, ypserv shouldn't run amok, should it?

>I don't know why so many servers would be spawned. That's really weird so
many
>ypserv's are being started. If you wanted you could run ypserv under strace
perhaps to
>see what it's doing before it forks.

Ok, this is something that I could at least *try*, altho I doubt that it
will help....

Let's see, should I find the cause for my problem I will report them here.
Of course further suggestions as to what the problem could be are still
welcome up to this point. :-)

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\