Re: Cheap printer?

Harald Thingelstad (thingels@powertech.no) wrote:

> First: What kind of a cheap printer do you want?
> The inkjet printers are known to be cheap to buy, but they charge a leg
> and an arm for the ink.
> Some manufacturers are known to sell their printers with a net *loss*,
> earning their money on ink alone. Let's say you have to change the
> cartridges twice a year, for keeping them from drying out alone, and I
> guess you have paid the printer over again in two years!

I've had pretty good luck with an Epson Stylus Color 900. It's not too
expensive and provides the best printout I've seen from anything short
of a >$1000 printer. With the gimp-print gs driver (stp) you can use
almost all of the printers features (360, 720, and 1440DPI works!) and
it comes VERY close to rivialing the Epson Win/Mac driver.

> You can, of course, get refiller ink for both types, and this makes inkjet
> printers look a little brighter. Be sure to find a place where you
> actually can *buy* this sort of stuff, as I'm sure original ink pays the
> shops better and the printer manufacturers shun no means of telling you
> unoriginal ink might destroy your printer. ("Fat chance!", in many cases.)
> Anyway.

I buy refill kits from nujet in Texas (USA). I can get a black refill
kit from them for the same price as the back cartridge and you can
refill the cartridge 10 times!

#include <std_discalimer.h>

Before I had an ESC Pro and had to finally replace it because it was
going through ink like there is no tomorrow. After I got the ESC900
hooked up I couldn't believe how fast it was (12PPM black), how little
ink it uses, and what good quality it prints at. Of course YMMV, but
I now deal with two ESC900's and they are both excellent printers.

HTH,

Ron
--
Email: <mailto:rbf@farrer.net>