Re: Cheap printer?

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Vicente Torres wrote:
> So, I must return it and buy another printer.
> Wich one would you recommend to me?
> It must be cheap; I do not want to use color on my printings
> and it must work fine with linux.
>
> Thanks

First: What kind of a cheap printer do you want?
The inkjet printers are known to be cheap to buy, but they charge a leg
and an arm for the ink.
Some manufacturers are known to sell their printers with a net *loss*,
earning their money on ink alone. Let's say you have to change the
cartridges twice a year, for keeping them from drying out alone, and I
guess you have paid the printer over again in two years!

Nope, if you're not interested in colors, buy a laser. The cartridges are
perhaps even more expensive, but they last many times longer.

You can, of course, get refiller ink for both types, and this makes inkjet
printers look a little brighter. Be sure to find a place where you
actually can *buy* this sort of stuff, as I'm sure original ink pays the
shops better and the printer manufacturers shun no means of telling you
unoriginal ink might destroy your printer. ("Fat chance!", in many cases.)
Anyway.
Buy the next cheapest you can get, the absolute cheapest ones tend to be
money out your window.

Second:
What type of printer?
Check the compatibility lists.
This means, the "Hardware HOWTO" in your HOWTO archive. If you don't have
any, install the necessary package(s).

Harald

Philosophy, law, medicine and even theology, alas! I studied everything with
an ardent will and here I am, poor fool, just as far behind as ever.
No more advanced than before.
    Goethe - Faust