Re: netscape 4.73 & fortify (potato)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:02:45AM -0600, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> JudiElaine <bush@grey-cat.com> writes:
[SNIP]

> > Anyone have any recommendations as to forcing the fortify,
> > downgrading netscape, or waiting for fortify to be upgraded?

[SNIP]

> I believe that due to the "relaxation" of US export control on
> cryptographic technology fortify will not be supporting any of the
> Netscape 4.73 or greater products.
>
> Personally I downloaded the 4.73 *.tar.gz navigator file directly from
> Netscape, with strong encryption built in, and installed it in
> /usr/local.

If you're ambitious and have a few hundred free megs, you can do as i
did and replace the .nif files from the debian sources with those from
the Netscape 128-bit tarballs (4 total, one each for navigator and
communicator libc5 and 6. Just get the ones you'll use), and recompile
it for yourself. Except for those .nif files, everything is the same
between the two except for some directory layout changes.

You might want to edit the debian/installer file and change all
occurances of "for LIBC in 5 6;do" to "for LIBC in 6;do" so that you
won't waste time building libc5 versions (or, do the same to kill libc6
if you use libc5). There's probably a similar change for nav/comm, but
as i keep both installed (just in case i need to fill out a mailto form)
i haven't bothered looking into that one.

The main advantages of this are that it keeps things managed with the
Debian package system, and you get some of the Debian helper scripts.

--
  finger for GPG public key.