Re: Debian Installation -Simplest method

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 08:53:51AM -0700, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> I want to install debian 2.2. Is there a simple way to
> install the system using a couple of floppies and a
> network connection. For e.g. I can install FreeBSD
> with 2 floppies and a network connection (the floppies
> contain the network card drivers, basic boot kernel, a
> dhcp client, etc.). There must be a way to do this in
> debian without having to download 12 floppies worth of
> data or 650MB iso image (and wait for 5 days for a CD
> to arrive; this is the easiest). Any
> recommendations/advice? :)

Yes.  See the 'compact' install disks.  Basically, you grab the rescue
disk and the root disk (ignore the 'drivers').  Boot from the rescue,
give it the root when it asks, and tell it you want to get the drivers
and base system from the network.

Two floppies.

I don't think it includes a DHCP client, though, so you may need to note
your assigned IP number and such instead of relying on DHCP to assign
that.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting