Re: Postfix troubles

    MB>  Postfix does alias database rewrites at the local delivery
    MB> stage.  What is happening is that Postfix sees "foo@localhost"
    MB> and tries to deliver it locally.  If the account is just an
    MB> account (as for your user account) all is well.  If the account
    MB> is an alias then Postfix replaces the destination address with
    MB> the address or addresses on the right hand side of the alias and
    MB> starts delivering them.  The problem is that your aliases have
    MB> no domain part so Postfix puts a default in but isn't configured
    MB> to deliver this default locally.
    MB>
    MB> What are the values of mydestination, myorigin, myhostname and
    MB> mydomain?  What is the output of "hostname"?

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
defer_transports =
delay_warning_time = 4
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = phoenix
myorigin = phoenix
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
relayhost = smtp.pathcom.com

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] postconf | grep mydestination
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
relay_domains = $mydestination

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] more /etc/hostname
phoenix

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       phoenix localhost

    MB> A quick hack that should work around the problem would be to
    MB> change your alias database to have right hand sides in
    MB> user@localhost form.

I'll give that a try to see if that fixes the problem. Is there a
problem with my myorigin/mydestination variables above ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com

http://www.pathcom.com/~ssahmed
GnuPG Key fingerprint = A6DB 6C85 DE5A 33BB E873  E437 58B2 09CD 977B 900B