Re: Help with COM port based terminal access

Oh, ok. Now I'm with you. Sure, for this you don't want mgetty. Just use
the regular getty that's already on the system. Here's what you do.
First edit /etc/inittab to get init to run a getty on your chosen serial
port (I'll assume for purposes of exposition you want to use the first
serial port, /dev/ttyS0). I'll also assume you want to run the port at
38400bps. Add the following line to /etc/inittab:

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 vt100

Now to get init running this do 'kill -HUP 1' (init is always the first
process in linux and so will always have the pid 1, the HUP signal tells
init to reread /etc/inittab and act accordingly for any changes). Now
the getty should be running.

On your laptop you'll want to install a terminal program. I prefer seyon
(which is an X app) or minicom (curses app). Hook up your null-modem (Rx
and Tx are swapped) serial cable, run your terminal program, set the bps
to 38400 and you should be in business. You should get a login prompt.