Re: Help with COM port based terminal access

This is easily done by running mgetty on the port. Note that booting your computer
keyboard-less can be a problem. Many systems will hang in the BIOS POST if they can't
sense the keyboard is present. On some systems this can be turned off in the BIOS
setup. This has nothing to do with linux. I believe you can buy little plugs which go
in the keyboard connector which will make the system think there's a keyboard present.

I also found that I had to modify the kernel source to get linux to boot without a
keyboard but this was with a 2.0.X (where X == I don't remember what) in order to get
it to work because there was some startup assembly code which was making a call to
clear the keyboard buffer and it would cause the system to hang (or crash, can't
remember which). Hopefully this is alleviated in more recent kernels. Serial console
support should be set up in your kernel config (you're going to need to compile your
own kernel) and lilo can be set up for serial console support as well.

Good luck,

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jens.jorgensen@cmgisolutions.com