Re: Surprising behaviour of dselect.

Quoting Preben Randhol (randhol@pvv.org):
> I wanted to install g77 and g77-doc on my system. As I got tired of
> swaping CD-s I set up apt to use the net instead. What happened was that
> after selecting g77 and g77-doc and choosing install in dselect it
> started not only installing g77, but upgrading 17 other packages. Among
> the different packages was samba which shouldn't have anything to do
> with g77.
>
> Why does dselect automatically upgrade ?

That's what it's designed to do. If you look at the package listing
when you select [S]elect, you'll normally see *** against each package.
(This assumes you haven't set packages to "hold".)

The second and third asterisks mean (from the help screens):

 Old mark: what was requested for this package before presenting this list;
 Mark: what is requested for this package:
  `*': marked for installation or upgrade;

                                  ^^^^^^^

Hold (shown as '=') will prevent this.

Cheers,