Re: gpm and X incompatible? (potato)

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, paul wrote:

> In my expirience, this problem is mouse dependant, on one box I have a
> mouse that requires a different protocol under gpm than under X-window but
> the mouse will not auto-switch when X-window starts, so I don't run gpm on
> that box.

It is mouse dependent, but to me it looks alike,  that as well the mouse
type and the protocol it needs is important.

> On another the mouse works with the same protocol (msc) under
> both gpm and X-window, but will not work in X-window if gpm is running, I
> use runlevels (starting gpm in runlevel two, stoping gpm in runlevel three
> and starting wdm).  Mostly I've decided to stop buying cheap mouses.

In most cases /dev/psaux PS/2 mice seem to be involved. The gpm test
program does not work and the config file has wrong setup.
After the last apt-get upgrade it works now without killing gpm. In
/etc/gpm.conf /dev/psmouse has to be changed to /dev/mouse (the link
psmouse does not exist on my system) and the option -R has to be added
to make gpm work in repeater mode. In /etc/X11/XF86Config in Section
Pointer, the Protocol has to be changed to "MouseSystems" (at least
concerning my LogiTech mouse) and Device has to be changed to
/dev/gpmdata. Both, gpm and X11 need a new startup to check it out, but
the last upgrade really did it.

Regards,

Kerstin

--