Re: gpm and X incompatible? (potato)

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 02:04:20PM -0500, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
[...]
> That was how it was configured by default when I installed potato, and when I
> would move the mouse it would jump randomly around the screen, usually not
> being drawn, and all of the buttons would click randomly, bringing up menus
> and selecting from them, among other things.

This is provided by missconfiguration of mouse protocols.

> This was fixed when I changed
> the mouse from /dev/gpmdata to /dev/psaux. Now, the mouse is drawn in its
> initial position but it neither moves nor clicks until I disable gpm. Could
> this possibly be due to the fact that it is configured as a repeater? If so,
> how do I deconfigure this?
>
> I have the Logitech cordless iTouch PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo running on an
> Abit KA7. XF86Config.bz2 is attached.

I your XF86Config is:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"               <------------------
        Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

What option you used for gpm repeater mode? Maybe simply '-R'?
Than gpm repeater was working as 'msc' :( You can try
  -R ps2 or -R raw with Option "Protocol"  "PS/2"
also
  -R with Option "Protocol"  "MouseSystems" would be usable.

Mirek