Re: gpm and X incompatible? (potato)

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 02:58:21PM +0200, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
>
> > Killing gpm (through "gpm -k" and "/etc/init.d/gpm stop") makes the
> > mouse work in X and fixes the display problems in the framebuffer.
> > Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?
>
> How does your setup in XF86Config in section Pointer look alike?

Hmm, it was my understanding that, yes, gpm and X aren't
compatible and you _shouldn't_ try to run them together.

That was in slink.  I've since upgraded to potato, and noticed that
both gpm and X are started in the same runlevel.  However, I also
have trouble with the X server, and those problems go away
when I kill off gpm (and remove it from the rc2.d directory).

I've never seen any documentation or announcement saying that gpm
and X are now compatible...

I'm running debian potato on a sparc ultra 1 and slink on a
sparcstation 20 at the moment.

--
bjb@achilles.net