Re: Keyboard rate

--- kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 09:20:20AM -0700, Patrick Draper wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't set my keyboard rate. I've read every web page out there on
> > setting keyboard rates, and I still haven't figured it out yet.
>
> man kbdrate -- though it appears you're onto this.

I have kbdrate installed properly, and I can invoke it properly.

> How about telling us:
>
>  - What user you're running as.

I'm running as root. I have verified this.

>  - The text of the command you're running.

kbdrate -r 30.0

>  - The text of the output.

helium:~# whoami
root
helium:~# kbdrate -r 30.0
Typematic Rate set to 30.0 cps (delay = 250 ms)
helium:~#

For fun, I also set the keyboard rate to 2, 3, and 4. I get no apparent
change in the rate. It seems that I'm always getting about 10
characters per second, approximately.

> > This problem only happens with Debian. When I run Suse, RedHat, or
> > FreeBSD I can change the keyboard rate at will.
>
> On the same hardware?

Yes, exactly the same hardware.

I have the keyboard rate problem on two separate systems. One is a
P-133 and the other is a Celery-300. Both are running Debian - one is
running 2.1 and the other is running 2.2 (upgraded a few days ago
without problems).

I can adjust the keyboard rate at will when I boot Suse or other OS. I
can also adjust the keyboard rate when I'm running Suse with VMWare
under Debian Linux. Debian never changes it's keyboard rate, but the OS
running under VMWare will.

The problem is rather baffling. I may try to find the source code to
kbdrate and figure out what it is doing.

=====
Patrick Draper                | Don't  |pdrap@yahoo.com
Austin, Texas                 | Fear   |Father Order runs at a
http://pdrap.home.texas.net   | The    |good pace, but old Mother
Be Microsoft Free - Use Linux |Penguin |Chaos is winning the race.