Re: Keyboard rate

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 06:02:34PM -0700, Patrick Draper wrote:

> --- kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 09:20:20AM -0700, Patrick Draper wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I can't set my keyboard rate. I've read every web page out there on
> > > setting keyboard rates, and I still haven't figured it out yet.

> > How about telling us:
> >
> >  - What user you're running as.
>
> I'm running as root. I have verified this.
>
> >  - The text of the command you're running.
>
> kbdrate -r 30.0
>
> >  - The text of the output.
>
> helium:~# whoami
> root
> helium:~# kbdrate -r 30.0
> Typematic Rate set to 30.0 cps (delay = 250 ms)
> helium:~#

FWIW, that looks good.

What's the keyboard?  Have your tried swapping keyboards between systems
for which rate works and those on which it doesn't?

> For fun, I also set the keyboard rate to 2, 3, and 4. I get no apparent
> change in the rate. It seems that I'm always getting about 10
> characters per second, approximately.

> > > This problem only happens with Debian. When I run Suse, RedHat, or
> > > FreeBSD I can change the keyboard rate at will.
> >
> > On the same hardware?
>
> Yes, exactly the same hardware.
>
> I have the keyboard rate problem on two separate systems. One is a
> P-133 and the other is a Celery-300. Both are running Debian - one is
> running 2.1 and the other is running 2.2 (upgraded a few days ago
> without problems).
>
> I can adjust the keyboard rate at will when I boot Suse or other OS. I
> can also adjust the keyboard rate when I'm running Suse with VMWare
> under Debian Linux. Debian never changes it's keyboard rate, but the OS
> running under VMWare will.
>
> The problem is rather baffling. I may try to find the source code to
> kbdrate and figure out what it is doing.

From the man pages, it appears that kbdrate doesn't work uniformly.  You
might try uninstalling kbdrate and using alien to install an RPM version
(or build from sources) of the same program.

kbdrate is in the Debian package util-linux.  This contains a whole mess
of stuff (dpkg -S util-linux).

Checking at the Debian bugtracking system for bugs show none which
appear to match this problem:

  http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=no&pkg=util-linux

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself