problems using pci ethernet adapter

hello all,

I have a new linksys etherfast 10/100 card (actually I have two, but I'll
only be using one to share a ppp connection until I get a cablemodem that
should use the tulip driver, but I can't get it to compile. I have the
source for it (pci-scan.c/h, tulip.c, kern_compat.h from www.scyld.com),
but the compiler breaks asking for modversions.h. I have the kernel source
installed in /usr/src/linux, and I'm using potato with kernel 2.2.12.

running ifconfig eth0 just report "no device present." the computer is
slightly old (1997 nec ready) with both isa and pci slots (the cards are
pci). is there a chance that the motherboard just isn't going to work?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-david

---
David C. Ables