Env Variables

hi

i set the environmental variable below to dynamically change my xterm
window to title to the current working directory.

export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]2;${USER}: ${PWD}\007"'

this works really well when i login in X, but when i login from the
console my system beeps every time since \007 is the bell character.
is the a variable i can check that would tell me whether i'm running
from X or from the console, so i can conditionally set the
PROMPT_COMMAND variable?

thanks