Re: boot error

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 10:32:31AM +0100, Moore, Paul wrote:

> But the message comes at bootup. AFAIK, the root FS is always mounted
> read-only in the first instance, and is then remounted read-write later in
> the boot sequence.

I think this is so.

> So this looks like a problem in the base Debian boot sequence, trying to
> insmod unix.o too early in the boot process, before root is remounted.

Yup.

> BTW, I have this problem too, so I can confirm that it occurs in a clean
> Potato (unofficial CDs from about 25th May) install.

Mine too is a clean install of potato using the disk-set available from
one of debian's mirror sites.

> See bugs #51379 (seems to imply that it's fixed in modutils 2.3.7-1, but
> it's still there in my version, 2.3.11-6), #50921 (similar), #49059
> (different, but also ksymoops and the boot sequence).

Any news on this?

> PS Is there really no search facility in the bug tracking system? I had to
> get a full listing, and then use my browser's search. And that only finds
> bugs with the word in the title :-(

Also, when searching mailing lists, it's annoying to have to load so
much stuff (links to all the lists sorted by dates...) until you can
just go to the search form located at the bottom of the page.

Cheers
--
S. Burgener