RE: boot error

From: Ron Rademaker [mailto:ron@wep.tudelft.nl]
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Sven Burgener wrote:
>
> > Anyone know why do I get the following error upon bootup:
> >
> > insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.15/misc/unix.o cannot create
> > /var/log/ksymoops/20000619212757.ksyms Read Only Filesystem
> >
> Looks like your root file system is mounted read only, try to do (as
> root): touch /a (if no error occurs, don't forget to do rm
> /a). If it's mounted read only, you can remount it read-write, but
> you better check out your /etc/fstab.

But the message comes at bootup. AFAIK, the root FS is always mounted
read-only in the first instance, and is then remounted read-write later in
the boot sequence.

So this looks like a problem in the base Debian boot sequence, trying to
insmod unix.o too early in the boot process, before root is remounted.

BTW, I have this problem too, so I can confirm that it occurs in a clean
Potato (unofficial CDs from about 25th May) install.

See bugs #51379 (seems to imply that it's fixed in modutils 2.3.7-1, but
it's still there in my version, 2.3.11-6), #50921 (similar), #49059
(different, but also ksymoops and the boot sequence).

Paul.

PS Is there really no search facility in the bug tracking system? I had to
get a full listing, and then use my browser's search. And that only finds
bugs with the word in the title :-(