Re: Bash script question (was: Re: Netscape 4.73 wrapper broken)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Mark Phillips wrote:

> What does "YMMV" stand for?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

> An official fix has come through, and what it does is replace
>
> 	for f in (cd.....
>
> by
>
> 	for f in $(cd....

From man 1 bash:
   Command Substitution
       Command substitution allows the output  of  a  command  to
       replace the command name.  There are two forms:

              $(command)
       or
              `command`

That's why I had the backticks in there.  I've never seen the
$() construct either.

> And what is the ". $d/$f" supposed to do??

Again, from man 1 bash:
        .  filename [arguments]
       source filename [arguments]
              Read and execute commands from filename in the cur­
              rent  shell  environment and return the exit status
              of the last command  executed  from  filename...

It simply executes those files as a shell script.

Peter

Peter D. Kovacs                   KnowPost.com LLC
Lead Engineer                   peter@knowpost.com