Re: question on sysvinit

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 09:15:01PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:

> In their manual, SuSE document that upon changing from say runlevel
> 2 to 3, first all links matching /sbin/init.d/rc2.d/K* get executed
> and then the links matching /sbin/init.d/rc3.d/S*. (Funnily they have
> init.d under /sbin and not /etc)

From the Debian Policy Manual version 3.1.1.1, section 3.3.1:
|   For example, if we are changing from runlevel 2 to runlevel 3, init
|   will first execute all of the `K' prefixed scripts it finds in
|   `/etc/rc3.d', and then all of the `S' prefixed scripts.  The links
|   starting with `K' will cause the referred-to file to be executed
|   with an argument of `stop', and the `S' links with an argument of
|   `start'.

If you have the debian-policy package from potato/woody installed, you
should find the document in /usr/share/doc/debian-policy. It should also
be available on the website.

i don't know why SuSE would do it the way that quote claims. Perhaps
someone who has more SusE experience can shed some light on this.

--
  finger for GPG public key.